Frequently Asked Questions
- How and when do I pay for my trip?
- What kind of pre-trip information will I receive?
- What if I need to cancel my trip?
- Will my cell phone work?
- How much should I tip?
- What should I pack?
- Do I need to exchange US currency for Belizean?
- Does the lodge have 24 hour power?
- Do I need an outlet adaptor?
- Is there rental equipment available at the lodge?
- Can you book my in country flights via Tropic Air?
- What airport do we need to fly into in Belize City?
How and when do I pay for my trip? ^
What kind of pre-trip information will I receive? ^
Garbutt’s will send you a full pre-trip document outlining equipment, the fishery, tipping, meals, accommodations, travel to and from Belize, as well as the general outline for each day of fishing with us here at Garbutt’s.
What if I need to cancel my trip? ^
We are always sad to hear when someone needs to cancel their trip, however, we understand how life goes. If you need to cancel your trip and are outside of the 90 day non-refundable policy we will refund your payments in full minus a processing fee of $100.00 per person.
Will my cell phone work? ^
We do have internet at the lodge so you can access email and text via your phone. Depending on your carrier you will have cell service. For anyone needing to make calls we recommend checking with your cell phone service provider to make sure you have an international plan in place for your trip.
How much should I tip? ^
We recommend $100.00 per boat per day, not per person but per boat for fishing. For non-angling activities we recommend 15% – 20% of the excursion cost based on the per person pricing. For our general lodge staff we recommend $10.00 – $15.00 per person per night. This is a pooled tip and covers the ladies in the kitchen, housekeeping and grounds staff.
What should I pack? ^
Outside of your necessary fishing equipment we recommend the following. These are recommendations we have refined over the years of having anglers visit us here at Garbutt’s.
- Lightweight rain gear (jacket and pants)
- Bug repellent
- Camera, cords & chargers
- Cell Phone & chargers
- Laptop or PDA and chargers (lodge has Wi Fi)
- Reading & writing materials
- Sunscreens SPF 30+
- Prescription meds
- Non-prescription Meds
- Eyeglasses (and spare)
- Polarized sunglasses (and spare) – Rose / Copper colored lenses are best (NOT black or Grey)
- Waterproof boat bag
- Binoculars for spotting birds
- Fishing gear as detailed on fishing pretrip info
- Hand towel/rag for use fishing
- US passports (Make sure they are valid for your travel dates and at least thirty days after the completion of your scheduled trip)
- Photocopy of Passport (packed separately)
- Airline tickets
- Itinerary with contact numbers
- Emergency Medical insurance docs
- Credit card
- Cash for tips – No need to exchange currency, USD is accepted throughout all of Belize
- Hats with a dark under brim
- Face protector (buff or bandana)
- Long sleeve shirts for fishing (SPF fabric–quick dry)
- Long pants for fishing (SPF fabric–quick dry)
- Casual pants, shorts
- Casual shirts, short sleeve, t shirts
- Light sweater or fleece
- Bathing suits
- Sandals or walking shoes
Do need to exchange US currency for Belizean? ^
No, USD is accepted throughout the entire country of Belize. The exchange rate is 2:1. We do recommend brining smaller bills, $20.00’s and $50.00’s instead of all $100.00’s. The smaller bills are easier to break while traveling.
Does the lodge have 24 hour power? ^
Do I need an outlet adaptor? ^
Is there rental equipment available at the lodge? ^
We do have a limited amount of equipment available at the lodge should something happen to yours while traveling. However, we encourage all anglers to bring everything they will need for their time with us here at Garbutt’s. We cannot guarantee that we will have what you need for flies, leaders, tippet, as well as setups. However, should you break a rod or have a reel issue while with us here at Garbutt’s we will do whatever we can to get you a setup that works through the completion of your trip.
Can you book my in country flights via Tropic Air? ^
We do not book any domestic travel for anglers. However, the process is very easy with Tropic Air. Visit the web-site and find the flights that would best in coordination with your international airfare. We recommend a minimum of 90 minutes between your international arrive and domestic departure from Belize City to Punta Gorda.
What airport do we need to fly into in Belize City? ^
Phillip Goldson International Airport (BZE). The international airport is services by all major airlines, United, Delta, South West, American, etc.